Tuesday 24 March 2020

Day one of isolation:

So much has changed in the world since I last posted on my blog.. I haven't been sure what to write or how to feel.

Last night, our Prime minister Boris Johnson called upon the United Kingdom to pull together and ... Isolate ourselves.. Which does sound strange when you write it down.. But it's exactly what we are now doing.

For the good of everyone, we are doing our best to stop the virus in its tracks (or at least slow it down until we can find a vaccine or at least have enough support for our hardworking and frankly heroic NHS!!).

I can't imagine a single person living here who doesn't see how important our free for all health care is.. It will be hell on earth for Americans who will only survive if they can afford it..

But enough political ranting. 

I have found today.. Surreal.. I spent last night feeling very anxious and concerned and did my best to switch off and get some rest.  After waking up late morning (why set an alarm at all?!) I spent the day cleaning my ensuite and working through my business administration course I'm completing online.
After 5pm my housemate whose been hard at work in his bedroom (Now office!) We went on our one and only trip outside today,  to get our ONE state sanctioned walk/ exercise.

I have already come to the conclusion that this one walk a day is going to be what keeps me going as I felt pretty rotten until I had my walk..

I felt anxious but aside from that I felt great to be out.. It slightly concerned me the amount of people out.. But then again they are just doing exactly what we were doing, and everyone kept a polite and comfortable distance between each other.

The only congregation were the homeless, who were 8 grouped together outside of Debenhams and the police slowed but didn't stop to talk to.

Apparently we are only allowed in small groups of households and limited to numbers entering the stores. I'm yet to need to go for shopping for anything as I am well stocked for now, and only see myself needing milk in the near future.

I guess the biggest issue has just been trying to get my head around the sheer scale.. or even the concept of this,  I was finally catching up on Fleabag (brilliant show btw.. and no spoilers as I'm yet to finish it!) And I'm there laughing, but something feels.. 'off' and once I let real life flood back in,  I feel weird again and confused and overwhelmed at the prospect of another 20 days of EVERYTHING paused. It's weird as normally you know the world is still going on exactly as you'd expect and any blip for you will soon be overwhelmed by normal life.. But that isn't so right now,  and that's just strange to me.

I will try to blog as much as I can through this as it will be interesting to see over time how my mentality towards this changes and hopefully I can look back on this.. and almost believe it happened.. because right now, it's still surreal and I keep expecting to wake up and find it's a dream.

I will end this with a couple of photos I took on my walk as I want to end this on a positive note!



No comments:

Post a Comment